Serving Your Community With Your Unique Gifts
You have been blessed with precious gifts and talents; it gives God great honor when you delight in your gifts and use them fully. So what gifts do you have? In particular, what can you do with them to serve your community?
What Gifts Do I Have?
Before you can serve your community with your unique gifts, first you need to know what those gifts are. The funny thing is that's often the question that people have a hard time figuring out themselves.
Another effective way is to ask your spouse, your friends and your family. Ask them, "what kind of gifts and talents do you see in me?", "what's a good way for me to serve my community using my gifts?". With their third-person point of view, they will give you a clearer idea on what your gifts are.
What better way to find out what your gifts and talents are than to ask Him who created you? Spend some time in prayer, asking God what gifts and talents He's given you. Ask Him how He wants to use you in your community. Ask Him to give you opportunities to serve in the community.
How to Serve Your Community
Now that you've found out what gifts and talents you were created with, what can you do to bless your community with those gifts? Since there are tons of different gifts, it's hard for me to specify a particular gift here. But I've categorized them into different types of skills. I hope they will give you some new ideas on how to serve your community with what God has given you! (PS if you need help coming up with ideas for your particular gift, feel free to email me here.)
- Give at-risk or low income kids music or instrument lessons
- Take photos for families at the children's hospital
- Teach a crafty skill at the women's shelter
- Create marketing graphics for your local charity
- Organize the pantry at the food bank
- Organize your church's closets/pantries
- Analyze your local charity's website data
- Teach a Sunday School class
- Teach elders how to use a computer at the nursing home
- Lead a service project
- Lead a women's prayer group or a Moms In Prayer group
- Offer to do data entry for your church or your local charity
- Plan an event for your church
- Organize your church's directory
- Update inventory at your local shelter
- File paper work for your church office
These are just ideas I'm throwing out. One of the best ways to know how you can serve is by asking the people you want to serve - "I have _______ skill. What can I do to serve you?" I'm sure they'll be glad you asked.
Have you had experience serving your community with your unique gifts? I'd love to hear about it! Please feel free to share in the comments below :)